The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Asia Regional Technical Director in Islamabad, Pakistan
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Asia Regional Technical Director is responsible for overseeing USP activities and business development opportunities in the region. He or she will also serve as the technical point of contact for new donor opportunities in the region and will work closely with the Partnership and Growth Asia Director to identify new donor funded opportunities. The incumbent will also work with other Global Health Technical Program (GHTP) technical area leads to adapt USP technical approaches and position USP as the technical assistance provider of choice. This will include providing regional oversight for interventions in regulatory systems strengthening, pharmaceutical manufacturing, laboratory strengthening as well as new and emerging areas. They will leverage USP’s technical capabilities to position USP for new and donor opportunities.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
The position's purpose should provide a high-level overview of why the position exists and briefly identify the most critical priorities of the position. This is an opportunity to highlight any features or duties of the role related explicitly to the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging work of the Department.
Technical oversight and thought leadership (45%)
• Provide thought leadership internally and externally on medical product systems in Asia including manufacturing, regulatory affairs, and market dynamics.
• Stays abreast of Asia regional initiatives to improve medical product regulatory systems, introduce innovative technology and/or improve manufacturing.
• Provide strategic analysis and insight on the regulatory and pharmaceutical market landscape, dynamics & segmentation.
• Leads and participates on assessment teams to evaluate and provide recommendations on medicines quality assurance and quality control capabilities in the
• Works closely with the program delivery team to identify opportunities for innovation, harmonize approaches, and maintain high quality standards in activity implementation.
• Provides expert technical support on programs related to regulatory and laboratory systems.
• Leverages network and experience to maintain and draw on a current roster of high-quality technical consultants and ensure consistent and high-quality delivery of services.
• Provide technical leadership for select donor-funded opportunities.• Collaborates with External Engagement to generate technical thought leadership content.
• Support internal technical review processes as a reviewer.
Business development (45%)
• Designs and contributes to writing high-quality technical approaches for proposals in response to EOIs/RFIs/RFAs/RFPs.
• Collaborates closely with the Partnership and Growth Asia Director to identify USP donor funded opportunities and strategic partnerships.
• Develops relationships with key potential clients, including donors, manufacturers, trade associations and regulatory authorities in Asia.
• Represents GHMS in external forums in Asia.
• Works with stakeholders to develop new opportunities and collaborate with Senior Technical Director to follow through on identified leads.
Leadership and strategic implementation (10%)
• Key contributor to the Global Health Program Department’s Leadership Team.
• Contribute to strategy discussions on global health, donor-funded work at USP and builds a network of client contacts to promote donor-funded program growth.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy, pharmaceutical sciences, public health, or related field.
• 10 years of experience implementing and managing medical product interventions to improve the availability of quality medical products in Asia.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organizations, private foundations, ministries of health. Experience working with international non-governmental organizations or national diseases programs in low- and middle-income countries, particularly those in Asia.
• Experience writing proposals for donor funded opportunities from World Health.
• Organization, USAID, Global Fund, and others.
• Ability to travel up to 35% of the time.
Additional Desired Preferences
• MPH preferred.
• Extensive understanding of how medicine regulatory system function in low- and middle-income countries.
• Strong communication skills and fluent in English language.
• Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
• Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to collaborator across functions and geographies.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Job Category Technical Programs
Job Type Full-Time