The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Manager, Finance & Operations PQMPlus in Monrovia, Liberia
Summary of the Position
Working under the direction and guidance of the Regional Senior Manager Finance and Operations, the Finance & Operations Manager will be responsible for overseeing the overall country office operations, including leading the start-up of country operations, for the Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) program funded by USAID and led by the United States Pharmacopeia Convention (USP.)). This role is responsible and accountable for effective and efficient operations of the country office to include management of all financial, accounting, and administrative functions, such as procurement and inventory tracking, human resources, and safety and security in accordance with USP, USAID and in country regulations for the USP PQM+ program. The Finance & Operations Manager will maintain frequent communication with USP Ghana & HQ, including the PQM+ Finance & Operations Director, Global Finance, HR, and Sr. Operations & Finance Manager, USP Ghana and serve as a member of the field office leadership team. In addition to the above roles and responsibilities, this position will oversee PQM+ Liberia budget development, expenditure monitoring, and managing of all accounts payable functions to include processing payroll, processing invoices, and analyzing accounts and tax returns according to local statutory requirements. S/he will be also responsible for coordinating with required audit functions, including providing necessary financial information, compiling and submitting reports. As a key member of the PQM+ Liberia Operations team, the Finance & Operations Manager will ensure compliance with USAID and Government of Liberia regulations by leading the implementation of USP financial management policies and procedures..
Roles and Responsibilities
• Adopts and implements USP policies and procedures in compliance with USP, USAID and Government regulations and manages finances and accounting, budgeting and audits as set by USP HQ. Provides training to local staff to ensure overall compliance with operational policies and procedures.
• Leads and develops annual project budgets/forecasts and monitors spend on a monthly basis to ensure activities are implemented within budget and conducts financial review and analysis to alert management of issues/risks related to budget spend
• Monitors the field offices cash balances and submits monthly cash requests to USP home office for approval. Manages day-to-day accounting operations to include review of all accounting transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and project coding, and necessary internal controls over payments
• Maintains USP’s system of accounts ensuring all accounting data are updated, reconciled and fully supported
• Manages preparation and submission of required monthly reconciliation and financial reports to USP HQ and coordinates with PQM+ Finance & Operations Director, Sr. Operations & Finance Manager, USP Ghana and Sr. Program Manager on financial reports requested by USAID.
• Serves as Liaison with external auditors, facilitates internal and external audit undertakings, prepares responses to audit findings and follows-up on the implementation of audit recommendations in collaboration with Global Finance
• Processes and manages VAT Exemptions via USAID mechanism
• Liaise with USP headquarters, USAID, partners, banks, and Government official (Ministry of Finance – Tax Office)
• Maintains accounting controls by ensuring the implementation of USP financial management policies and procedures.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
• Manages local Human Resources processes in accordance with local labor laws in collaboration with USP HQ, including contracts, compensation packages and working hours
• Manages in-country recruitment process to ensure compliance with USP policies and procedures and leads new hire onboarding in collaboration with USP HQ
• Overseas performance management process and support in ensuring high engagement of staff
• Acts as point of contact in country for any performance management issues that may arise and partner with HQ-HR on resolution of issues
• Ensures staff complete timesheets per USP’s policies, and systems are in place to track accrued vacation/personal leave
• Maintains employee records and files in country
• Oversees logistics including management of travel arrangements, meeting/workshop logistical arrangements, etc. to support effective and efficient project implementation
• Manages office inventory /assets and government property, as applicable in compliance with USAID rules and regulations
• Manages IT vendors and coordinates with USP regional IT staff to address any issues related to IT operations (hardware, software, and access to systems)
• Serves as in-country Security Focal Point and coordinates with USP Global Security to maintain safety and security of staff and visitors
• Ensures that the in- country legal registrations are current and adequate, and that the country office is in compliance with local labor and other relevant regulations.
• Ensures that the country office management is efficient, effective and conducive to promoting an enjoyable place to work where staff can thrive and engage one another.
• Develops and maintains a comprehensive and efficient filing system for good records keeping and document management.
• Trains and mentors finance and operations staff in an effort to continuously build capacity of the in-country staff
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a professional equivalent
• Minimum of 8 years of progressive professional accounting experience and /or financial management
• Minimum of 3 years of experience managing staff
• Working experience on a USAID or other international donor-funded project in Liberia is a must.
• Fluency in national language and proficiency in written and oral English required.
• Membership of a professional accounting body is an added advantage.Knowledge of applicable Liberian, rules and regulations, and policies governing financial and administrative processes.
• General knowledge and understanding of donor funded business development.
• Experience filing statutory Liberian taxes and managing office financial environment.
• Demonstrated experience with MS Excel, word PowerPoint, and accounting software, experience with QuickBooks preferred.
• Meticulous attention to detail, as well as outstanding critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, show initiative, solve problems, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and remain calm under pressure
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to influence without direct authority.
• Ability and desire to work well with diverse employees and customers in a cooperative and friendly manner.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and meeting deadlines; results-oriented.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Proven capability to productively support internal and external staff and be a team player.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Job Category Accounting & Finance
Job Type Full-Time