The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Counsel in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This position advises on a variety of legal matters relating to USP’s standards and their intersection with related business operations, and other matters affecting the organization, both in the United States and globally. The incumbent is expected to have the judgment, maturity and skill to act with broad discretion in performing the responsibilities of the role. This role is ideal for an attorney with direct client contact experience that can successfully navigate legal issues to get things done quickly and efficiently, in a practical and pragmatic fashion for a forward-thinking, agile and global-focused organization. The incumbent will be responsible for performing legal work associated with projects throughout their entire life cycle, from inception to completion. The Counsel will also have exposure to, and the opportunity to work on, a wide variety of legal matters affecting the organization.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Provides legal and policy support to USP.
• Is able to apply principles of administrative law to USP procedures in general, and to USP’s standards development process in particular.
• Advises on the intersection of US food and drug law with USP’s standards.
• Advises on issues related to intellectual property law, including patent and trademark law.
• Synthesizes solutions to novel questions intersecting USP’s standards and USP’s business operations.
• Provides organizational support through an in-depth understanding of USP rules, procedures, and policies related to USP’s governance and standards development.
• Interprets existing policies and drafts new policies and rules related to USP’s governance and standards development.
• Works collaboratively with cross-functional teams, including global teams.
• Assists with implementing USP rule and policies; conducts training as appropriate.
• Liaises as appropriate with key internal and external legal, regulatory, and other stakeholders.
• Develops a thorough understanding of and familiarity with USP, its people, products, markets, facilities, customers, and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate structures and strategies accordingly.
• Establishes rapport and a working relationship with management and staff at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
• Performs special assignments or projects, without significant supervision.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
Candidate must possess a law degree from an accredited law school and admittance to at least one state bar. Additionally, the candidate must have at least five (5) years of demonstrated legal experience, with a preference for some experience as in-house counsel.
The candidate must be eligible to work in the United States.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Operates independently and collaboratively at all levels of the organization.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to write clearly and concisely.
• Possesses strong oral communications skills.
• Able to recognize, evaluate and offer mitigation alternatives to address risks and help accomplish organizational goals.
• Able to foster trust both externally and internally.
• Able to move a project from inception to completion.
• Able to juggle multiple clients/projects simultaneously.
• Proven innovative problem-solving, prioritization, and planning/decision making skills.
• Strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
• Demonstrates flexibility, open mindedness, and adaptability to a rapidly changing environment.
• Sophisticated range of both written and verbal communication and presentation skills appropriate to the target audience including PowerPoint skills.
• Exercises good judgment in a crisis; remains objective and action oriented.
• Ability to recognize and focus on opportunities that simplify and standardize processes, as well maintain and/or improve policy and process compliance.
• Accountable; delivers creative, value-added results through superior execution. Ability to interact with and influence different partners (local or remote).
• Active listener - seeks to understand. Embraces creativity and innovative ways of working.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a matrix organization and achieve objectives both within and outside of direct reporting lines.
• Ability to work effectively with multiple levels within the organization.
• Sensitive to cultural and national diversities and is able to create empathy, influence and motivate in a multi-cultural environment.
• Ensures business partners deliver quality work in a timely manner.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Legal
Job Type Full-Time