The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Data Asset Developer in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
The Data Asset Developer is a non-supervisory position responsible for designing and developing data assets that support Advanced Analytics at USP. The incumbent will serve as the subject matter expert and data development lead on data analytics projects to enable in-depth analytics and machine learning capabilities. We’re seeking someone who understands the power of data and enjoys building new capabilities. The Data Asset Developer’s primary objective is to ensure that USP’s data assets are developed, deployed, and managed for analytics use cases. The incumbent will work directly with Strategists, Analytics Experts, IT professionals, and Business leaders in a fast-moving and dynamic environment. The Data Strategy function is part of the Strategy, Pricing, and Analytics.
Roles and Responsibilities
• This role will be the subject matter expert in USP data and its relationship to external regulatory and pharmaceutical industry data.
• Translates business data needs into technical requirements, developing and delivering proposed solutions to support the advancement of analytics at USP. This position is a key point of contact to strategic and tactical analytics teams.
• Leads creation of data assets and integration of data assets across USP’s data models for analytics transformation.
• Works cross-functionally with IT, science, and business stakeholders to assess business needs, develop and implement new data assets for the organization.
• Leads the design, build, and deployment cycle for data assets within USP data analytics project lifecycle.
• Supports data engineering and data quality best practices for data source governance by collaborating with the data quality team members, data engineers, and data strategy management.
• Employs data prep and management processes and data quality metrics pre/post transformations to ensure data fidelity.
• Responsible for enabling user adoption and usage of data assets via Tableau Server, Alteryx Server, and AWS data lake infrastructure.
• Uses SQL, python, and other query and analytics tools to develop, prep, and validate data sets for use.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g. Information Systems Management, IT Project Management, Analytics or Data Science, Science, Mathematics, Computer Science, Business) or equivalent experience.
At least 3 years of hands-on experience working with data (as example – data modelling, data engineering, developing reports, SQL development/administration, data analysis, python data manipulation) of which at least 2 years working on data analysis.
Subject Matter expertise in chemistry, cheminformatics, pharmaceutical industry, or medicine regulatory domain.
• Experience with scientific chemistry nomenclature highly valued
• Prior work experience in life sciences, chemistry, or hard sciences or degree in sciences
• Master’s degree preferred (Information Systems Management, Analytics, Data Engineering, Sciences)
• Strong experience translating stakeholder needs into technical project outputs required
• Advanced technical proficiency in the following:
‒ Data Tools: SQL, python (numpy, pandas packages), Alteryx or other data wrangling tools
‒ Data Visualization/ Analytics: Tableau or any similar tools such as Power BI, Cognos, OBIEE, Qlik, etc.
• Experience working with API’s a plus
• Experience with data extraction and scraping a plus
• Ability to explain complex technical issues to a non-technical audience
• Self-directed and able to handle multiple concurrent projects and prioritize tasks independently
• Able to make tough decisions when trade-offs are required to deliver results
• Strong communication skills required: Verbal, written, and interpersonal
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully present vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time