The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Director, Product Management in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
Director of Product Management is a managerial position that supports the global growth of USP’s material products including Reference Standards, FCC Analytical Materials, Pharmaceutical Analytical Impurities, Certified Reference Materials and the Materials Strategy Program for Dietary Supplements, Excipients, Food Ingredients, and Small Molecules market segments.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
The role will define and oversee delivery of the strategy and roadmap for the materials portfolio to achieve USP’s public health mission and financial objectives. The role will collaborate across the organization including Operations, Science, Regional teams, IT, Strategy, Analytics, the Executive Team, and others to further USP’s mission.
• Manage a team of Product Managers, a PAI Business Operations Manager, and product development team (currently an Identification and Evaluation Manager) responsible for product ideation, product identification, product prioritization, product roadmap creation, product evaluation, product introduction, product monitoring, and product life cycle management.
• Educate and instill product management philosophy at all levels and across departments within the organization.
• Collaborate and align, when possible, with other product management teams within the organization.
• Drive cross departmental collaboration across the organization to ensure well informed and data driven decision making with respect to in-line and new product development and introduction.
• Develop a deep understanding of business goals and processes to inform product priorities and improvement recommendations.
• Develop processes with Strategy and others to support new initiatives such as the Materials Strategy including RACI charts.
• Collaborate with the analytics team to build dashboards and tools to drive efficiency and empower teams to quickly make informed decisions.
• Collaborate with GLTO, IT, GEA, Quality, Marketing Communications, and others to create processes for effective Product Life Cycle Management and maximize USP resources to further the mission.
• Collaborate with GLTO, Quality, Regions, Technical Service, Customer Service, and others to make product line improvements to provide more value to USP customers and further USP’s mission.
• Develop strong relationships and regularly communicate with product stakeholders and customers to shape the product strategy and surface and prioritize needs.
• Lead product strategy, planning, and life cycle management efforts including forecasting and pricing.
• Analyze and monitor business, market, and technology trends to inform product strategy and proactively propose novel solutions.
• Proactively identify and resolve roadblocks to achieve objectives for the product, including technical, business, and resourcing challenges.
• Support eCommerce platform working with IT, Customer Service/Customer Experience, and RMS to ensure products are presented in a manner that supports our marketing activities and provides customers useful information in making purchasing decisions.
• Support market research activities to deepen customer understanding and drivers
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in marketing.
• Minimum 1 year in Product management for a B2B company involved in Healthcare, Chemicals, or Pharmaceuticals.
• Minimum of 3 years of people management experience.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent communication skills at all levels of organization.
• Deep customer and market understanding.
• Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
• Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, including experience leveraging data to inform decision making and independently solving problems.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Master’s Degree in Product Management.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in Product Management for a B2B company involved in Healthcare, Chemicals, or Pharmaceuticals Expertise in strategic thinking and strong business acumen.
• Strong experience in understanding business partner and client needs.
• Demonstrated success in defining and building products.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical information in a condensed manner to various stakeholders verbally and in writing.
• Ability to operate independently where appropriate yet understands when to escalate issues and how to establish effective working relationships in a team setting.
This position supervises a team of 4 Product Managers including 1 contract position and functional supervision of an employee in India. Additional positions may be added as the product portfolio grows.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Sales & Marketing
Job Type Full-Time