The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Engagement & Partnerships Manager in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Engagement and Partnerships Manager will play a critical role in driving forward comprehensive external engagement and visibility strategies that showcase the impact and value of USP's Global Health programs. A key liaison between internal and external collaborators, this position will be responsible for leading engagement activities with priority team member groups; translating technical topics into compelling narratives and collateral; conceptualizing and executing USP's Global Health presence at international conferences and broader events strategy; and leading the social media strategy for USP’s Global Health content. This is a non-supervisory position reporting to the Director, External Engagement within the Global Health and Manufacturing Services division.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
This is an opportunity to help drive critical and timely global health conversations and thought leadership forward in the areas of access to medicines, supply chain resiliency, and global health equity. This high-visibility role partners with leaders across USP to synthesize the current landscape, amplify USP's impact, and chart a course for our global health thought leadership and engagement.
• In collaboration with Global Health Technical Program colleagues, develop and implement engagement strategies and tactics for priority collaborators, organizations, and partners.
• Identify opportunities to increase engagement with target audiences including donors, membership organizations, and partners.
• Elevate and amplify USP's influencers, and organizational experts through development of op-eds, talking points, and other relevant collateral around key moments and opportunities.
• Lead and execute engagement plans with priority global health networks, creating broader awareness of USP’s global health work, expertise, and capabilities.
Events strategy and management
• Track and strategically prioritize engagement opportunities at major international conferences, high-level meetings and events, webinars, and other engagement opportunities.
• Lead strategic direction and planning for department-wide events strategy, working with senior leadership to shape and plan engagement.
• With other members of the team, conceptualize, plan, and manage logistics for engagement and presence at high-priority events.
• Liaise with technical staff to shape conference abstracts, talking points, presentations, and other relevant messaging related to conference/event participation.
• Maintain internal events management tracking tools.
• Lead and implement USP's Global Health social media strategy, including drafting, editing, and publishing content for Twitter and LinkedIn and managing the social editorial calendar.
• Lead and execute social media campaigns (both paid and organic), monitor campaign effectiveness, and make recommendations for increased impact.
• Create graphics, GIFs, videos, and other visuals via Canva, compiling and analyzing social media metrics, and coordinating with the corporate social media manager to ensure consistent messaging and amplification.
• Increase social engagement of USP's influencers through targeted social listening, identification of engagement opportunities, and refining messaging and posting strategies.
• Strengthening staff capacity for social media engagement by conducting trainings, providing guidance, and developing strategies for expanding reach.
• Support end-to-end development of digital and print communications collateral including developing concepts and messaging, drafting copy, facilitating review, and managing design and dissemination.
• Supervise consultant editors and graphic designers and ensure consistent high-quality materials in line with editing and branding and marking guidelines.
• Increase staff capacity for effective communications by providing guidance, mentoring, training, or other skills building support through the communication community of practice.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor's degree in public health, international affairs, communications, or related field.
• Five (5) years of proven experience in communications, advocacy, engagement, and/or writing for public health.
• Ability to travel internationally 10-25%.
• Ability to quickly absorb, synthesize, and translate sophisticated technical topics and jargon into clear, concise messaging with relevance for broader audiences.
• Social media expert with experience developing, managing, and optimizing content and campaigns for major social media channels.
• Superior attention to detail and experience implementing logistical management of in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
• Excellent writing and editing skills and strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Master's degree in public health, international affairs, journalism, or related field.
• Experience working in international development, global health and/or donor-funded environments.
• Ability to work effectively in teams, balance and prioritize multiple priorities, and work well under time constraints.
• Experience and proficiency in cross-cultural communications and working across multidisciplinary and international teams.
• Experience with social media graphics, publishing, and analytics software and applications (e.g., Canva, HootSuite, etc.
• Experience developing optimized digital content for SEO and SEM campaigns.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Technical Programs
Job Type Full-Time