The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Program Manager in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Program Manager is an individual contributor reporting to the Senior Director, Program Delivery responsible for managing a portfolio of donor-funded projects in USP’s Program Delivery team within the Global Health & Manufacturing Services Division, using best practices to ensure client/donor satisfaction. More specifically, the Program Manager will provide day-to-day management of assigned projects, including developing workplans, deploying project managements tools and processes, monitoring project activities against budgets, drafting progress reports among other tasks, to ensure high quality results. The successful candidate will need to work independently and strategically, coordinating closely with internal and external collaborators, such as the project team, particularly the technical staff and other USP divisions, such as the Global Science and Standards Division, as applicable. In addition, the Program Manager will contribute to and lead, as requested, on improving Program Delivery owned project management systems, processes, resources and/or tools to promote quality, efficient and client-focused project implementation.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
The position's purpose should provide a high-level overview of why the position exists and briefly identify the most critical priorities of the position. This is an opportunity to highlight any features or duties of the role related explicitly to the DEI work of the Department.
• Partners with project leadership to drive programs to meet established to meet established objectives and appropriately utilizes resources
• Holds operational accountability for the timely and successful implementation of projects to include leading cross-functional project teams with technical, finance and other relevant staff while collaborating with other internal and external collaborators
• Build and manage workplans, timelines, deliverables, and project transfers with a clear understanding of responsibilities across team members and drive staff accountability
• Develops project budgets and monitors project expenditures to ensure activities are implemented within budget and prepares pipelines/projections as needed, and in collaboration with Finance staff
• Liaise with external collaborators and contractors to manage timelines and deliver milestones.
• Report on performance to plan and overall metrics as part of performance management
• Proactively identifies issues/risks, including facilitation of resolution with appropriate management staff
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with relevant donors and key stakeholders; and represents USP at key stakeholder meetings
Program Delivery Processes and Systems
• Identify improvements and implement changes, as appropriate, to project management systems, processes, resources, and tools USP needs to successfully deliver on their project commitments to clients
• Lead and own, as assigned, GHMS division-wide systems to support more effective project management
• Conduct trainings and hold regular office hours on various program delivery systems, resources, and toolkits, to include the development and/or enhancements of training materials and job aides
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in a science-based discipline or relevant field
• Minimum of five (5) years of proven experience project managing multiple, complex projects in life science industry or a research environment
Additional Desired Preferences
• Master’s degree in a scientific field (e.g. chemistry, chemical/biochemical engineering, bioengineering, biochemistry), or exposure to these areas through work experience
• Ability to use scientific knowledge and experience to understand and deliver on business objectives
• Strong project lifecycle and project management knowledge and skills and ability to manage multiple projects at once and prioritize time effectively in a fast-paced environment
• Attention to detail while keeping attention on the big picture
• Ability to build effective work relationships and work collaboratively in a global setting
• Ability to foster collaborative relationships with external partners with relationship management skills
• Strong stakeholder management skills with ability to mobilize collaborators to results at all organizational levels
• High comfort with navigating through ambiguity and frequent change, and course-adjusting in the moment
• Demonstrated ability to distill project information and complexities into actions and meaningful outcomes
• Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness with good judgement about what can work
• Strong influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills to drive program success
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with audience appropriate awareness
• Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Proficient in project management software use
• PMP or related certification together with demonstrated job application of knowledge is a plus
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work --from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Project Management
Job Type Full-Time