The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Scientific Editor (early-career level) in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top authorities in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 hard-working professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to build a stronger supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This is a non-supervisory, fast paced position responsible for performing high-impact editorial and scientific communication functions for the publication of USP documentary standards. The Scientific Editor reviews USP documents for accuracy, accurate structure, style, grammar, syntax, referencing, and readability. The incumbent in this role will regularly collaborate with scientific authorities to ensure quality, clarity, and consistency of work. The incumbent will participate in meetings to ensure the timely completion of work as outlined by the Master schedule. The incumbent supplies to the overall success of the organization by producing high quality products on schedule that meet the needs of the end users.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
1. Edits scientific materials across various USP publications and leads all aspects of the improvement and maintenance of high quality USP documentary standards
o Copyedits content so that it is well-written and aligns with USP style. Ensures that structure, grammar, syntax, and spelling are accurate and prepares documents for transfer to production
o Serves as an editorial subject matter authority and develops specialized knowledge for assigned publication content and tasks
o Displays critical thinking and scientific communication experience, using diplomacy and tact to build consensus and bring open items to closure
o Carefully documents revision history and decisions to facilitate knowledge management standard processes and adherence to SOPs
o Maintains pace with ongoing product and style changes through training and participation in team meetings
2. Conducts quality control checks of USP publications
o Proofreads scientific content for errors, making limited style and formatting changes after various editorial stages
o Maintains the intent of scientific guides by upholding a high-level view of each documentary standard
o Demonstrates sound decision-making during QA checks to identify errata and other errors that affect external end users
o Uses standardized checklists and procedures to ensure adherence to established quality standards
o Reviews final products by participating in final QA checks, such as proofreading paginated output, checking version continuity, proofreading indexes, and reviewing online content for quality and functionality
o Reviews and updates documentation to ensure alignment with current process
o Reviews and updates documentation to ensure alignment with current process
3. Science Division collaboration
o Supports cross-divisional process improvements for Standards development
o Provides technical and editorial support to scientific staff as needed
o Supplies to presentations on publications, scientific topics, and feedback as needed
o Supplies to projects related to publication strategies or for the improvement of processes, quality, and style
Who USP is Looking For?
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a life science, or an equivalent combination of training and experience required
• At least 2 years editing scientific, technical, or medical materials, including long-form research-based articles or analytical reports
• Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling, and application of in-house style guides
• Experience successfully completing projects in a group or team setting on deadline.
• Proven digital literacy in a PC environment, along with proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and an HTML or XML editor, applying track changes and reviewing tools in such programs
• Proficiency in a virtual environment, with ability to facilitate and participate in WebEx meetings, and use of virtual communications software (Outlook, Teams, Jabber, Slack)
• Has the ability to
o thrive in a goal-oriented, fast paced environment
o navigate intricate publications systems and processes
o efficiently multitask
o work and research problems independently when appropriate and understands when to raise issues
o establish effective working relationships in a team setting through engaged participation and receptiveness to feedback
o engage in training/mentoring with senior staff
Additional Desired Preferences
• Experience in book and/or journal editing in electronic formats
• Knowledge and/or use of SGML, DITA, XML, or HTML
• Validated skills to communicate scientific and/or technical concepts within defined formats
• Knowledge of pharmaceutical and scientific research concepts and understanding of scientific data analysis
• Experience working with content management systems, electronic file tracking, and workflow procedures preferred
• Efficient written and oral communication skills, including developing and delivering presentations when needed
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Publications
Job Type Full-Time