The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Scientific Editor & Translator, Spanish in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This is a non-supervisory, fast paced position responsible for performing various high-impact translations and editorial functions for the publication of USP Standards, internal and external documents, and web content in Spanish. This position's role combines different skills including professional translation, review, proofreading, content management and technology. The individual in this role, who must be a fluent speaker of Spanish, will translate content following USP guidelines for content, style, grammar, syntax and readability, The incumbent will collaborate with the scientific Spanish group as needed. The Scientific Editor and Translator will work closely with other on-site and off-site translators to provide feedback and produce high quality results on time and of the highest quality.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Translates official USP-NF content in compliance with approved USP terminology databases, Spanish USP Style Guide, and other in-house style guidelines
• Participates in translation projects across internal departments to ensure that translated USP documentation and web content reflect key messages accurately and are appropriate to specific language audiences
• Prepares files to be translated
• Ensures correct file versioning and structure within Translation Management Systems (TMS) and XML based Content Management System (CMS)
• Contributes to feeding and maintaining optimal translation memories
• Converts DITA XML files into Word and vice versa as required in different steps of the workflow
• Responsible for improving and maintaining high quality standards of USP publications
• Conducts pertinent research for each translated document to guarantee that meaning is correctly interpreted, and that appropriate specialized terminology is employed
• Edits, makes corrections, converts files, and formats content after scientific review, and before delivering to publishing platform
• Contributes to final product reviews and quality control check
• Displays critical thinking using their knowledge and expertise when reviewing scientific content and collaborates with science experts as needed to ensure accuracy of scientific data. Uses diplomacy and tact to build consensus and bring open items to closure
• Performs other duties as assigned
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with team members, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Translation, Linguistics and/or Foreign Language Studies or an equivalent combination of years of training, professional translator experience and translation certification from a recognized translation-related association or University may be considered
• Minimum of 3 years of proven experience as a professional translator English to Spanish either as a freelancer or in-house
• At least 2-3 three years of combined experience in the following areas: professional experience using CAT tools (MemoQ preferred); and editing of scientific, pharmaceutical, technical, or medical materials
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish (knowledge of another language a plus)
• Mastery of text translation/revision/reviewing/editing and proofreading techniques, standard processes, and theories
• Ability to work independently with minimal direction
• Highly developed attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively under pressure
• Proven time management and multitasking skills
• Demonstrated digital literacy and ability in computer applications including Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Adobe Acrobat and HTML or XML editor
• Knowledge of scientific research concepts and terminology and understanding of scientific data analysis
• Enjoys working with others in a collaborative and respectful environment
Additional Desired Preferences
• Master's degree in translation studies and/or Foreign Languages
• Experience working in support of ISO 17100:2015
• Experience coordinating with other Language Service Providers
• Experience providing training and feedback to freelance translators/editors as needed
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Publications
Job Type Full-Time