The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Scientist III/Scientist IV, Reference Standards Laboratory in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This is a non-supervisory, onsite technical position in USP’s Reference Standard Laboratory in Rockville, MD. In this role, the incumbent is responsible for designing and executing experiments supporting Reference Standards evaluations and product investigations. This work includes development, execution and/or validation of complex analytical procedures supporting the identity, strength, and purity of the evaluated material. The incumbent may execute 60% - 80% of their work at the bench level.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• The incumbent will be performing analytical testing at the bench, interpreting and/or reviewing collected data, reviewing relevant documentation, and participating in experimental process design.
• Routinely applies personal experience, academic training, and technical insights – including emerging sciences – to solve highly complex technical problems within the laboratory.
• Works independently and may direct others to develop and validate methodologies for the analysis of drug substances, drug products, dietary supplements, and excipients.
• Demonstrates solid scientific approach to analysis in the laboratory.
• Troubleshoots difficult/unusual lab problems independently; assists others with troubleshooting.
• Provides technical oversight to laboratory scientists by reviewing data, plans and reports.
• Directs the planning of research and development required for all projects; reviews literature; acts as a resource to others in the planning of projects and analysis of results.
• Works collaboratively with the other team members to develop effective testing plans and experimental designs.
• Contributes to USP Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging culture by effectively collaborating with other members of RSL and members of other USP departments to support USP’s mission by participating in the development of reference materials and other organizational initiatives.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Experience in ISO or cGMP requirements for pharmaceutical testing
• Hand-on experience and expertise in chromatography, spectroscopy, and/or other analytical testing methods
• Skills to anticipate, troubleshoot, and solve technical problems
• Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate across teams with varying goals and viewpoints
• Bachelor’s degree in Science and 8 years of relevant laboratory experience
• Master’s degree in Science and 4 years of relevant laboratory experience
• Ph.D. in Science
• Bachelor’s degree in Science and 10 years of relevant laboratory experience
• Master’s degree in Science and 6 years of relevant laboratory experience
• Ph.D. in Science and 2 years of relevant laboratory experience
Additional Desired Preferences
• Proficient with testing involving compendial methods for raw materials (USP, BP, EP, etc.).
• Experience in establishing testing plans and experimental designs, as well as analytical method optimizations.
• Experience in development, execution and/or validation of complex analytical procedures.
• Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
• Ability to influence without direct authority.
This is a non-supervisory position.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Chemistry & Scientific Standards
Job Type Full-Time