The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Cloud Engineer in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
This is a hands-on non-supervisory, individual contributor position. The incumbent will design, build, maintain and improve our AWS Cloud Infrastructure and DevOps delivery pipelines to support our critical applications including our subscription based Online Publications (Nabu), and our Single-Sign-On suite (Access Point) as well as others. They will work with Software, Systems and SQA Engineers, as well as third party vendors to deliver high quality systems in a high-performance hybrid cloud environment. They will automate repetitive tasks, work to get configuration into code and reduce manual deployment tasks to maximize system quality and minimize time to market to support USP’s mission.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Design, build, and maintain secure and cost-effective cloud infrastructure on AWS ensuring high availability and scalability
· Design, architect, and lead the integration and installation of new technologies with regards to AWS and AWS integrations
· Design, build and optimize DevOps pipelines including multiple quality gates and quick feedback loops
· Collaborate with application development teams to transform traditional web applications into container-based environments using Docker and AWS Elastic Container Service/Fargate
· Lead the coordination of vendors, suppliers and professional services during project engagements and research & development queries
· Act as a Technical Lead on a variety of projects, delivering high quality, in an agile environment
· Develop KPIs, establishing quantitative and qualitative metrics to track pipeline performance
· Keep abreast with the rapid changes in technology and recommend suitable technology improvements that are fit for the business and the IT enterprise.
· Monitor mission critical applications and troubleshoot any production issues, which will require availability after normal business hours as needed and report on system availability
· Provide complete and accurate documentation as required by USP Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and policies.
· Analyze infrastructure costs, recommend, and implement optimization measures
· Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, relevant field, or equivalent work experience.
· Minimum of five (5) years of hands-on experience building AWS infrastructure and DevOps pipelines.
· Expertise in AWS foundational services, plus: ECS/Fargate, RDS, ElastiCache, CodeCommit, Batch, Lamda
· Expertise in CI/CD and Agile tool sets including: Jira, Bitbucket Pipelines, Jenkins
· Strong Linux administration and networking skills
· Expertise with web application stack including: Apache, Tomcat, PHP, RDS (MySQL, Aurora)
· Strong containerization skills using Docker
· Demonstrated expertise maintaining infrastructure as code using Terraform
· Advanced knowledge of cloud computing and integration methods
· Ability to lead, implement, and design large scale complexed technology solutions
· Ability to learn new technologies and cross-train and/or be cross-trained as part of IT support team
· Ability to interact successfully with all levels of the organization
· Ability to lead and manage shifting priorities and to meet deadlines
· Must have good research and analytical skills
· Must have good organizational and communication skills
· Experience with testing tools including: Sonarqube, CircleCI
· Experience with configuration management using Ansible
· Experience with advanced AWS services: CodeDeploy, CloudFront, Athena, Glue
· Working knowledge of Jupyter Hub, Kedro
· Working knowledge of SSO and Directory services including: OpenLDAP, CA
· Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
· AWS Certification(s)
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully present vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time