The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Compensation & Benefits Specialist in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Total Rewards & Wellbeing, the Senior Compensation & Benefits Specialist is responsible for activities relating to compensation and benefits approaches to attract, recognize, and retain top talent across global USP and is well versed in total rewards program administration to support effective talent acquisition, staff retention, and engagement.
As a member of the Global People & Culture team, the Senior Total Rewards Specialist assists in the management of compensation and benefits – all aspects including strategy and philosophy. This role partners with third party vendors, current and former employees, making recommendations, and solving problems. This role administers a valuable total rewards offering, using market-based data recommendations, assuring internal equity and external competitiveness. Responsibilities include data management, reporting, auditing, compensation market analysis, project support, and management of internal and external information requests relating to compensation and benefits. S/he also assists in communication initiatives designed to grow candidate and employee understanding of the total value of USP’s Total Rewards program offerings. This position will collaborate closely with the Senior Manager, Total Rewards & Wellbeing, Senior Global Compensation Manager, Benefits Administrator, and Legal.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Work closely with Senior Manager, Total Rewards & Wellbeing to perform all related duties in support of the organization’s Total Rewards programs and processes to include:
• Assist with position description updates and job classification in career framework to ensure consistency throughout the organization. Participate in benchmarking of job descriptions
• Serve as point of contact for Talent Acquisition and HRBPs for position description development, market pricing efforts, and salary offers. Partner with HRBPs to address questions from hiring managers on compensation process
• Assist with compensation administration activities including job evaluations, market equity reviews, promotions, salary adjustments, job offers
• Partner with HRIS coordinating timely updates of approved salary adjustments and title changes
• Assist with the annual salary administration and noncompetitive promotion process
• Determine job classification for new position descriptions for USP jobs including FLSA, EEOC, and slotting in career framework
• Perform regular data audits of compensation, title and bonus data in HRIS globally and follow up on resolving data conflicts or issues
• Partner with the Senior Global Compensation Manager to assist with salary surveys, USP job title taxonomy, and position description library
• Conduct job evaluations and salary reviews based on market data and USPs job evaluation methodology and recommend job level assignments according to career framework
• Provide support in preparing data, presentations, materials for department or leadership
• Provide support on special projects and initiatives.
• Administer the organization’s health, welfare, and retirement plans
• Assist in responding to all benefit inquiries, including communication around plan coverage inquiries, assist with claims issues and prompt resolution of any other benefit related issues
• Serve as subject matter expert and a main point of contact to vendors on benefit plans administration; act as liaison between payroll and GP&C teams
• Act as a main point of contact to staff and GP&C team regarding administration and compliance of benefit plans
• Resolve non-routine benefits issues and investigate benefits discrepancies, provide solutions and policy interpretation, as appropriate. Participate in plan review and contribute ideas to plan design changes
• Participate and prepare data for benefit audits
• Serve as a backup regarding the leave of absence and disability administration and COBRA administration
• Assist with managing self-insured medical plans, working closely with broker and Finance to track and project expenses
• Assist with managing wellness program and existing benefit vendor relationships
• Under the guidance of Sr. Manager, Total Rewards & Wellbeing and the Benefits Administrator, assist with annual open enrollment process and HRIS setup
• Assist in implementing new benefits and wellness modules; support vendor data file feeds; ensure ongoing compliance of all federal or local employment regulations that impact current benefit programs or policies
• Bachelor’s degree required or relevant experience in lieu of degree
• 7 years of broad-based compensation and benefits experience required
• Ability to engage and work with all levels of the organization
• Prior experience with HR and payroll software
• Hands on experience with using compensation and benefits surveys and other market data resources
• Intermediate level spreadsheet skills with the ability to analyze and audit data
• Must have experience with more than just tactical/administrative benefits duties – seeking a candidate with strategic ability and project management skills
• UKG/Ultipro experience a plus
• Has acquired or is working towards a Compensation or Benefits certificate (CEBS, CCP, PHR, SHRM-CP, etc.).
• Experience managing salary data submissions to survey providers
• Experience with benefit plans and benefit open enrollment
• Prior experience with 401(k) administration
• Knowledge of ERISA, HIPAA, ACA, COBRA, and IRS rules and regulations pertaining to health and welfare, and retirement plans
• Project management experience with the ability to oversee multiple initiatives or projects, monitor progress and completion, and ensure expectations are met
• Strong financial skillset; ability analyze data and provide recommendations for improvements
• Highly organized, able to coordinate multiple tasks, attention detail and meet deadlines
• Strong proficiency in MS Office programs (with a focus on strong Excel skills) required
• Hands on experience with HR software (HRIS)
• Detail oriented with a critical degree of accuracy
• Ability to manage highly confidential material
• Superior organization, project management skills and attention to detail
• High level of commitment to quality work product, integrity and compliance
• Strong ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbally. Outstanding customer service – ability to work well both independently and as a team member. Must be comfortable communicating with all levels of employees and former employees.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired:
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully present vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Human Resources
Job Type Full-Time