The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Data Scientist in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Data Strategy and Analytics group at USP is seeking a (Senior) Data Scientist with skills in advanced analytics (predictive modeling, machine learning, natural language processing) and data analysis / visualization to work on projects that are integral to our mission of protecting patient safety and improving the health of people around the world.
We are seeking someone who understands the power of data and enjoys communicating the insights and actions derived from the data and modeling.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
You will create impact through expert use of data to uncover insights and patterns that help USP better execute on its mission. Through both business data analysis and more advanced machine learning techniques you will be contributing to strategies, tactics, and programs that help us develop the right standards and target them to the right customers. Specifically, you will:
• Use exploratory data analysis to spot anomalies, understand patterns, test hypotheses, or check assumptions.
• Conduct business/data analysis to support hypothesis generation for Strategy managers.
• Design and implement data science/ML projects to meet USP’s key strategic objectives.
• Apply various ML techniques to perform classification or regression tasks to drive business impact and address identified needs in an agile manner.
• Use natural language processing techniques to extract information and improve business workflows.
• Interpret and communicate results clearly and concisely to audiences with varying backgrounds and degrees of technical understanding.
• Develop and define scalable data science workflows.
• Partner with internal stakeholders to identify opportunities where machine learning can add value.
• Collaborate with other data scientists, data engineers, and IT team to help ensure project delivery and success.
• Present Insights and Data Model results to business and scientific stakeholders within USP.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g. Information Systems Management, Analytics or Data Science, Science, Mathematics, Sciences, Computer Science, Business).
• At least 2 year of hands-on work experience in: data science, advanced analytics, machine learning, statistics, or natural language processing in non-classroom setting such as work, work study, internship, or volunteer setting (classroom experience does not count towards this requirement).
• Advanced technical proficiency in the following; python/packages: pandas, numpy, regex, scikit-learn, xgboost, and visualization packages (such as matplotlib, seaborn, or plotly); SQL.
• Experience with data extraction and scraping.
• Advanced knowledge of regular expressions.
• Applicants should have some experience building ML models using real world data and can write production-ready code.
• Experience with basic code versioning using git.
Senior Data Scientist – All skills cited above plus
• At least 5 years of hands-on work experience in: data science, advanced analytics, machine learning, statistics, or natural language processing in non-classroom setting such as work, work study, internship, or volunteer setting (classroom experience does not count towards this requirement).
• Demonstrated ability to design and implement large-scale data science projects.
• Experience moving models into production including essential MLOps skills and tooling, model monitoring, etc.
• Advanced data visualization and statistical analysis skills.
• Deep experience overcoming data limitations to apply machine learning to solve real world problems.
• Effective communications skills when working with business stakeholders.
Additional Desired Preferences
Master’s Degree in Data Science, Advanced Analytics, Machine Learning or other Quantitative Discipline or MBA (if combined with technical undergraduate degree).
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time