The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Digital Product Owner in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
This is a professional position that sets the strategic vision for USP’s flagship digital product (USP-NF Online and other digital compendia) and platform. The role is also responsible for the total-product life cycle of the product and for the successful execution of the product strategy. The USP-NF Online is the primary way stakeholders access USP’s documentary standards and is critical to the success of USP’s larger mission to positively impact drug quality in the US and beyond.
The position reports to the Senior Director, Digital Platforms & Delivery in the Digital and Innovation division. As the lead for short and long-term strategy around this premier digital asset, the successful candidate would interact closely with USP senior and executive leadership, scientific, and IT staff, as well as external stakeholders, balancing the forward-looking vision for the future of the products, internal focus needed for their development and maintenance, and the deep understanding of external stakeholder needs. The successful candidate will also apply an understanding of USP’s domestic and global role, pharmaceutical industry trends, stakeholder engagement, and customer dependency and usage of documentary standards while creating value for USP and for USP’s customers.
The role is responsible for defining, shaping, directing, and executing the strategy for digital delivery of content through the USP-NF Online and related compendia, to better meet the diverse needs of stakeholders inside and outside the US. In addition to overall strategy, the successful candidate will direct a wide range of projects and tasks related to identifying and implementing improvements to the customer experience surrounding the use of USP documentary standards. They will be responsible for applying best practices related to the evolving continuous digital publishing and content delivery processes in a scientific setting and will own the entire product lifecycle including initial scoping, leveraging relevant market and customer research and analytics data, refinement of the product vision and roadmap, and shepherding projects through to completion.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Shapes transformative vision for the future of USP’s online compendia
• Defines long- and short-term product strategy, objectives, and implementation roadmap through understanding, anticipating, and prioritizing stakeholder needs, bringing long-term value for USP, including the increased access to and effective use of USP documentary standards globally while upholding USP’s brand.
• Key member of team helping to drive the definition and implementation of a new digitally enabled business model for USP.
• Influences cross-functionally to constructively and effectively drive transformative digital product vision
• Navigates a matrixed environment, developing strong relationships and coordinating multiple functions across several divisions at USP by influencing their prioritization without having direct authority over those teams.
• Able to work closely with teams from Science, Publications, and IT Services on highly technical aspects of product development. Prior experience with the development of software and informatics products targeting technical/scientific end-users is a strong plus.
• Able to work closely with colleagues in the Digital & Innovation department to evaluate and integrate appropriate new or innovative data, interfaces, and features into the online platforms.
• Understands interdependencies, prioritization, and coordination of project tasks across workstreams while taking into account overall USP portfolio management strategy to develop a comprehensive implementation roadmap. Proactively identifies and mitigates issues or challenges to the process. Tracks and evaluates product progress across workstreams and provides consolidated view to senior leaders.
• Leverages knowledge of the digital scientific publishing landscape and processes to help develop data delivery tools and channels that meet evolving customer needs, including moving to a continuous publishing delivery model.
• Leads problem solving and resolution codification for all product-delivery challenges, including necessary prioritization and trade-offs by identifying and working closely with relevant subject matter experts
• Acts as primary point of contact for all internal and external product-related inquiries, including the Customer Advisory Board and other external stakeholders and groups, developing strong relationships with users to obtain information on customer usage, experience, and pain points.
• Continually works to improve the customer experience with our compendial products, identify and fill knowledge gaps, and to create opportunities for future growth and increase USP’s global impact.
• Responsible for monitoring and updating content on digital touchpoints that support the USP-NF Online.
• Responsible for providing both internal training for employees and external training for customers on USP-NF Online basic and advanced understanding of how to use the USP-NF Online.
• Defines product performance metrics and leverages well-developed computer skills using analytical tools, spreadsheets, and network-based business systems to research and analyze business data driving increased public health and/or revenue impact.
• Bachelor’s degree in science required - biology, chemistry, or pharmaceutical science
• Eight (8) years of product experience in a scientific or technical field. Demonstrated experience in leading projects and cross functional teams.
• Masters (MS, MBA) or advanced degree
• Demonstrated ability to shape vision and strategy
• Demonstrated ability to manage and influence cross-functional teams, without formal reporting relationships
• Demonstrated ability to adapt to evolving or ambiguous goals and deliver successful outcomes
• Demonstrated ability to work iteratively and using agile principles
• Self-motivated and self-directed. An agile and quick learner committed to adapting to changing technologies, regulations, and customer needs
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex or technical ideas clearly to people with different backgrounds, and at different levels of seniority
• Excellent relationship-building, partnering, facilitating, negotiating and influencing skills, especially the ability to influence without direct authority
• Strong end-product focus and pragmatism
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
• PMP certification is a plus
• Design-thinking and agile development experience is a plus
• Bilingual (Spanish, Chinese, or Russian) is a plus
Intention is to eventually oversee a team.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Chemistry & Scientific Standards
Job Type Full-Time