The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Environment, Social & Governance Manager in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
While USP’s mission to advance the supply of quality medicines inherently creates positive societal impact, the organization is seeking to further accelerate and communicate its impact by integrating environmental, social and governance [ESG] considerations into USP’s operating model. To support this goal, USP is seeking a Senior Manager, ESG, who will be responsible for working across the organization to ensure internal alignment and implementation of its ESG initiatives. This role will require active collaboration with colleagues in USP’s Global External Affairs Division as well as subject matter experts from across the USP organization in the US and in India. The role will report to the Senior Director, USP Convention and Stakeholder Engagement, and work closely with the SVP, Global External Affairs.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Support ESG strategy development. Work directly with senior leadership and as part of a cross-functional team to develop and coordinate an ESG strategy that advances USP’s goals. Ensure metrics/KPI measurement align with common sustainability/ESG reporting standards like GRI. Ensure alignment among key stakeholders and USP leaders.
• Create content that aligns with ESG frameworks. Create process tools and other related program content to align with best practices and frameworks.
• Workstream support and management. Monitor and manage ESG working groups and ensure implementation of priority initiatives.
• ESG issue awareness. Proactively develop knowledge bank of ESG issues.
• Prepare progress reports. Prepare regular internal and external reports on progress, impacts, lessons learned, gap analysis, peer benchmarking comparisons, and stakeholder engagements.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data related to ESG performance and risks.
• Knowledge and understanding of common ESG frameworks, such as GRI is a plus.
• Ability to understand and manage spreadsheets.
• Communications; strong writer and presenter.
• Ability to build trust among colleagues.
• Solid project management.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a commitment to USP’s mission and to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree (BS) required in relevant field; Master’s degree (MS) a plus.
• 5-7 years of project management experience in ESG or in areas relevant to ESG, or an equivalent amount of relatable experience and USP acumen can be substituted.
• Excellent demonstrated communications skills.
• Experience working in a matrixed organization.
• Prior experience in a scientific, life sciences or public health-based industry.
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills; solution-oriented and innovative.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Ext. Affairs, Regulatory, & Communications
Job Type Full-Time