The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Financial Analyst in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Senior Financial Analyst is a key member of the Global Finance team responsible for providing donor-funded project level financial management, analysis and reporting support. He/She provides critical support to the Global Health & Manufacturing Services (GHMS) division, and more specifically to the donor-funded project team in all areas related to project budgeting, forecasting (i.e. project budget projections), reporting, and analysis through the development and support of the company’s Planning and Budgeting applications. This individual will work with project leadership within GHMS to develop solutions in collaboration with other Global Finance staff to ensure project level budgeting and reporting needs are being met. Reporting to the Manager, Finance and Accounting with functional reporting to Global Health Programs, this position will support operational and financial analyses focused on accuracy of internal and external reporting and invoicing. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment, welcomes a challenge, learns fast and works under tight deadlines.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Lead the development and/or refinement of analytical and budget tools and templates in collaboration with the Finance Manager and project leadership and managers to support project financial and resource management and to ensure programmatic managerial and donor reporting needs are met.
• Leverage advanced analytical skills to challenge current processes, review data and reports for accuracy, and identify improvements.
• Prepares financial reports, including VAT reports, as well as invoices and other pipeline reports for assigned projects.
• Conduct regular and ad hoc financial analysis for assigned projects as requested by project leadership and/or managers.
• Support project managers to resolve expense coding issues as they arise by taking the lead with other Global Finance staff to ensure timely follow-through with corrections and dissemination of updated, accurate project financial reports.
• Provides ad hoc project level financial support to the project team, such as supporting internal control testing and external audit preparations, conducting market research and analysis to develop local per diem rates for country projects, supporting donor specific reporting requirements for sub-awardees (e.g., USG FFATA reporting) and/or supporting subaward financial management (e.g., developing invoice templates and invoice tracking), etc.
• Provides training to projects staff on budget vs actual and other financial reports and templates, as requested, and develops job aids and other resources to help project staff effectively manage their project budgets.
• Monitor and analyze field office accounts to help assess whether costs are allowable and within budget.
• Serve as a critical liaison role between the corporate accounting team and the Global Health & Manufacturing Service division in Rockville and overseas field offices in areas related to financial planning, reporting and analysis.
• Provides budget information for assigned projects to Finance Manager in order for Finance Manager to prepare the GHMS corporate budget and projections.
• Ensure that all project finances conform with USP’s Accounting policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• BA or BS degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Information Systems or equivalent years of practical experience
• Minimum of Five (5) years of progressive experience in U.S government/ donor award financial reporting, planning and analysis.
• Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning and budgeting tool
Additional Desired Preferences
• Thorough knowledge of MS-Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• High degree of efficiency/expertise in MS Excel and Access.
• Experience w/ Accounting for USG funded awards (USAID preferred).
• Technical experience with spreadsheet program, general ledgers reports and financial management tools.
• Experience with general ledger systems a plus.
• Excellent understanding of financial statements.
• Understanding of Financial Planning processes and how they integrate with other areas of an organization.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong analytical skills and very detailed oriented.
• Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
• Interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects.
• Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• Exceptional customer service with focus on the end-user.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Accounting & Finance
Job Type Full-Time