The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Manager, Data Center Operations in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
The Sr. Manager Network Engineering and Datacenter will be leading the team of engineers supporting Network, Datacenter, Storage, and Unified Communications (Technical Operations). This team of engineers is responsible for maintaining and working on existing core enterprise network and datacenter operation while incorporating emerging technologies in a cost effective manner to support the business strategy. The team is also responsible for supporting our infrastructure in a hybrid cloud datacenter model. The Sr. Manager will also have a proficiency, solid understanding and hands on experience in at least two areas within Technology Operations and is able to transform complex problems and abstract concepts into executable technology solutions. In this role, the Sr Manager is accountable for leading, driving and developing solutions involving network, storage, UC, datacenter that are best suited for the business requirements, whether onsite or cloud based, that are cost effective and meet the strategic vision. The role will be responsible for documenting these designs and ensuring communication and delivery of these services globally. The Sr. manager is also responsible for managing day to day operations such as patching, tuning, monitoring, problem identification and remediation, backups, upgrades, to ensure a stable and reliable infrastructure.
This is a hands-on supervisory position reporting to the IT Operations Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Develop process, procedures and troubleshooting instructions to support Tier 3 troubleshooting
• Establish and test DR plans
• Establish and maintain regular communications with peers, technical operations, application development, help desk operations teams, supplier management and vendors regarding changes and improvement opportunities
• Provide strong technical leadership, guidance to engineers.
• Partner with senior leadership and other managers to meet goals and provide business solutions.
• Responsible for assessing talent, identifying gaps, and provide development mentorship and provides opportunities for stretch roles to develop future leaders.
• Sets performance standards and holds team members accountable to standards.
• Forecasts needed resources such as vendors, technologies, consultants, staffing needs, and training for the team to accomplish business objectives, validation, testing and acceptance for Technical Operations solutions.
• Lead the development of consistent network and datacenter solution standards with appropriate documentation, templates, use cases and acceptance testing
• Maintain and support a ‘steady state’ environment to ensure high reliability, high availability and appropriate security of services within Technical Operations.
• Keep abreast of new technologies, evaluate alternative solutions, and propose cost savings ideas
• Identify and Manage budget
• Work regularly with the helpdesk service delivery manager as need for escalation support
• Ensure SLAs for the teams are upheld; ensure escalated issues are handled appropriately and in a timely manner
• Manage and prioritize team’s work.
• Manage work efforts based on ITIL framework
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical field from an accredited college/university or equivalent work experience
• Eight (8) years experience of Network Enterprise experience
• Five (5) years of professional IT work experience with enterprise data center and technical operations.
• Three (3) years managing teams or staff
• Technical hands-on experience with network engineering
• Working knowledge of routing protocols like BGP, EIGRP, L2/L3 LAN, Wifi,
• Working knowledge of Software Defined Data Centers, Cloud Networking
• Working knowledge to Virtualization and Cloud computing
• Working knowledge of storage technologies
• Demonstrated project execution skills and experience working directly with IT and business users.
• Effectively plan, organize, and execute tasks, projects, and initiatives
• Critical thinking and analysis skills
• Strong process development skills
• Strong people management skills
• Strong leadership skills in driving engagement, adoption and change for processes and technology.
• Ability to manage multiple efforts concurrently.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; will be deeply involved in numerous discussions with business partners, vendors, and varied organization leaders.
• Working knowledge of ITIL service management particularly around operations
• Experience moving datacenter and/or networking services to a cloud environment
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Able to work flexible hours when needed. In addition to normal business hours of 8:30 a.m. 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, serves on a team to provide 24 hour a day, 7 days a week response to emergency alarm calls and can be available on short notice to support requests during unusual hours, especially early or late in the day during the business week.
This role will manage 5 – 10 engineering resources.
As a condition of employment with United States Pharmacopeial Convention’s (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time