The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Manager, Dietary Supplements and Herbal Medicines in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Senior Manager, Dietary Supplements and Herbal Medicines will be responsible for the activities of the Botanical Dietary Supplement and Herbal Medicine Documentary Standards Team. This includes overseeing and coordinating development of quality standards for dietary ingredients and dietary supplements, and related activities including admission (safety) evaluation of ingredients and support of Expert Volunteer Activities, participation in cross-functional teams and collaboration within and outside of USP. They will mentor direct reports and manage performance, as well as participate in and lead other department activities.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Provide leadership to and scientific supervision of scientists developing dietary ingredient standards, specifically for botanicals and herbal medicines and related activities including admission (safety) evaluations (40%)
• Mentor and develop direct reports (25%)
• Work with expert committee and expert panel members on topics relevant to monograph development, admission evaluation and other issues (15%)
• Establish and nurture relationships with individuals of varying backgrounds and learning styles (10%)
• Collaborate with USP Laboratory and other colleagues as needed to move projects forward (10%)
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Ph.D. with 10 years, or an MS degree with 15 years of industry experience in chemistry, pharmacy, pharmacognosy, toxicology, microbiology, or a related field.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience supervising, leading teams, and mentoring staff members.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Experience in one or more of the following technical areas: up-to-date chemical/phytochemical analytical techniques for dietary ingredient and dietary supplements, safety evaluation of dietary ingredients.
• Understanding of the regulatory status and requirements for Dietary Supplements in the U.S. (DSHEA).
• Ability to operate independently where appropriate yet understand when to escalate issues and how to establish effective working relationships.
• Familiarity with USP quality standards.
• Strong presentation and communication skills (written and oral).
• Well-developed organizational, interpersonal communications, negotiation, writing, and strong listening skills.
• Knowledge of internet and electronic database searches helpful. Practical experience in analytical techniques is extremely helpful.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to share technical information with non-technical or non-scientific staff, and to communicate effectively with representatives from dietary supplement companies, government, and academic institutions.
2- 4 Senior or Principal Scientists.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Chemistry & Scientific Standards
Job Type Full-Time