The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Media Relations Manager - Hybrid in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The (Senior) Media Relations Manager provides strategic communications support for USP's media priorities and initiatives. This position will establish relationships and develop opportunities to work with trade, science, and consumer media. The (Senior) Media Relations Manager will help translate complex scientific and health care issues into campaigns and messages that resonate with target audiences through media campaigns. They will also track media conversations, pitch stories, prepare spokespersons for interviews, and track key performance indicators in support of goals and objectives of campaigns.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Develop or inform development of media strategies and tactics to support enterprise campaigns; manage USP story engine and PR agency to execute pitches.
• Prepare press releases, media advisories, story pitches, social media posts, newsletter articles and other materials for distribution to reporters and media organizations in support of USP external communications campaigns.
• Develop background briefings and provide media training for key interview subject and public speakers, along with preparation and editing of talking points and public remarks by senior executive and scientific staff.
• Organize media briefing and press interviews involving USP executive and scientific staff, including preparation of talking points, messaging themes FAQ's and other related background information.
• Cultivate positive working relationships and comfortably interact with relevant reporters and editors; develop prompt responses to inbound media inquiries; and expand outreach to local, national, and international reporters in conjunction with the pitching of USP story ideas.
• Post and/or update press releases and other Media Relations content on the USP website; develop and post FAQ and other topical background materials for reporters; distribute press releases and media advisories to external newswires; and develop and posts content for social media networks.
• Monitor and track media coverage; maintain the internal media database; develop media coverage reports; and analyze media coverage to measure effectiveness of USP external communications campaigns.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, Journalism, or relevant field.
• Five (5) to 10 years of experience media relations, professional/corporate communications and/or newsroom setting.
• Ability to develop and execute communications strategies.
• Ability to quickly grasp new subjects and topics areas, along with comfort explaining complex subject matter in lay terms.
• Experience with writing and editing, including tailoring content to different audiences' needs and level of understanding.
• Thorough knowledge of all primary media channels, including broadcast, digital/social media, print and trade publications.
• High comfort level working with the media, including interview situations.
• Strong interviewing and analytical skills as well as excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
• Comfortable managing multiple projects under deadline pressure.
• Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others as part of a communications team.
• Strong time management, project management skills (i.e., proactive approach, deadline management, follow-up mechanisms, overview instruments), organizational skills and attention to detail.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Experience with media/PR tracking platforms (Cision, PR Newswire or similar services) highly desirable.
• Experience in healthcare setting and/or broadcast news preferred.
No supervisory responsibilities.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Ext. Affairs, Regulatory, & Communications
Job Type Full-Time