The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Portfolio Gov Mgmt & Eval Manager in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Portfolio Governance Management and Evaluation (PGME) Program Manager / Sr. Manager is a highly visible, individual contributor, role responsible for partnering with members of the executive team, and their senior leaders, to realize Enterprise's goals, strategies, and plans. The role will afford the individual to partner across the org to navigate, shape and build the supporting mechanisms (e.g., business unit annual planning), processes (e.g., stage gate review) and tools (e.g., dashboards with milestones and KPIs) that promote alignment of USP's most senior leaders, drive accountability for the organization’s investments, and provide transparency to the organization on decisions and progress.
The ideal candidate for the job will possess strong multi-tasking skills with attention to detail, motivated by a desire to optimize productivity, and be comfortable influencing and managing without authority at all levels, across the organization.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
Shaping and ensuring quality strategic discussions
• Establish and improve on Committee strategy setting processes and priorities
• Define and maintain a tool to support prioritization of portfolios
• Define, and maintain tools and manage the overall processes (e.g., stage gating program development) to ensure critical conversations with Committees (and engagement of other stakeholders) at appropriate times
• Set Committee agenda based on relevant priorities and ensure those conversations are effective
Facilitating the Development of Strategies and Plans
• Ensure the development of high-quality strategic plans for Divisions and Performance cells
• Ensure the development of high-quality annual plans - including critical metrics and milestones- for Divisions and Performance cells
• Design processes to ensure input from across the organization into all planning activities
• Facilitate conversations to provide high impact feedback from ET to Divisions, and PACe to Performance cells on their plans
Working with Partners
• Build and maintain high quality relationships with functional partners to facilitate surfacing and resolution of key issues related to portfolio management, ET leadership, and enterprise planning and evaluation
• Ensure high quality engagement by other functions in Committee conversations and decisions
• Establish high quality relationships - with ET and GLT members and leaders
Evaluating, Measuring and Monitoring Performance
• Develop and maintain dashboards synthesizing reporting of goals against plans
• Continuously improve the quality of performance metrics and reporting
• Establish formal and informal mechanisms to support Committee awareness of when performance challenges or resource needs exist
Ensuring Management Quality
• Develop and support adherence to templates, methodologies, and processes to be used across the portfolios
• Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
• Help identify and solve problems that present obstacles and challenges to the team, facilitating issue resolution with senior stakeholders on a timely basis
• Ensure integration of dependencies and risks are managed effectively across projects
Communicating and Reporting
• Maintain dashboard for communication for all committees
• Develop communication plans and interfaces to actively engage business partners to gain support and solicit input to improve
• Communicate portfolio progress to key constituents and ensure appropriate escalation to ET
• Facilitate all operational checkpoint activities throughout the project lifecycle.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor's degree in science required, other area of study may be acceptable with experience in scientific field
• Minimum five (5) years of experience in regulated industry
• Minimum five (5) years of hands-on experience operating in a PMO, leading and managing a variety of complex projects
• Strong time management, project management skills (i.e., proactive approach, deadline management, follow-up mechanisms, overview instruments), organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent task management, organization, and team collaboration skills
• Strong professionalism, accountability, and helpfulness, and possesses a customer service mentality
Additional Desired Preferences
• Master's degree in related health science field.
• Strong proficiency creating content, processes, etc. utilizing MS365 tools (e.g., word, excel, ppt, etc.) to drive decision making
• Demonstrated experience successfully managing multiple projects within agreed to scope, schedule and budget
• Excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
• Ability to influence, motivate, and mobilize teams and business partners.
• Proficient with Project and Management Tools. (Innotas, MS Office, Visio, MS Project, PPM software, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience articulating issues, problem solving and presenting recommendations at the executive level
• Possess a high level of business acumen; understanding the business need for each project and the ability to drive decisions based on what is best for the organization
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Professional Programs
Job Type Full-Time