The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Software Engineer in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This is a professional hands-on IT position in which the incumbent’s main responsibilities are application software design, development, systems maintenance, modification, and documentation. The Senior Software Engineer uses structured analysis and design methodologies to perform full life cycle development for USP applications ranging in complexity.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Work on customer facing USP applications like USP-NF Online.
• Perform design, development, testing, code review and post-production support for applications based upon the specific needs of USP.
• Use of sound standards and best practices during all phases of software development life cycle.
• Collaborate with team to provide technical solutions to support long-term technology strategy.
• Stay current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate USP’s software applications’ social and mobile capabilities.
• Create prototypes, refines solutions, and establishes proof of concept.
• Diagnoses/repairs development and production issues in a timely manner.
• Closely follows version control, documentation, and code promotion procedures.
• Solve technical challenges and able to prioritize.
• Provide production support, enhancements and ongoing maintenance for custom programs that interface with third party vendors and other internal systems.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant field with minimum 8 years of professional experience in full software development life cycle; or 6 years of professional experience with a related master’s degree.
• Full stack developer with hands-on experience with backend, frontend, and database technologies.
• Experience with J2EE using Spring framework, design patterns and open-source software.
• Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Restful/SOAP.
• Experience with stored procedures, triggers, functions, DDL, DML, writing complex SQL queries on Oracle/MySQL relational databases.
• Experience with various client and server testing frameworks like Junit, SonarQube, JaCoCo, JMock, Mockito, TestNG, Jasmine, Selenium, etc.
• Experience with build tools like GIT, Ant, Maven, Grunt, GulpJS.
• Experience with configuring Web and application servers.
• Experience with Atlassian tool suite Confluence, JIRA, and Crucible.
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
• Experience with Linux/Unix or Mac OSX.
• Experience with working across multiple projects and consistently produce defined results.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Must possess excellent communication & interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of staff to determine system requirements, processes, and data flows.
• Expert knowledge of systems, software, programming languages, development methodology and web frameworks.
• Strong grasp of common web technologies and recent developments in social, mobile and cloud applications.
• Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes in building high profile web applications.
• Must also be able to facilitate occasional projects not possible during normal business hours due to vendor necessity or customer impact (e.g., ability to be on call for any critical system issues).
Additional Desired Preferences
• Experience with Amazon Web Services/Heroku a plus.
• Experience with application containerization technologies like Docker, Kubernetes.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time