The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Senior Software Engineer in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
This is a professional hands-on IT position in which the incumbent’s main responsibilities are application software design, development, systems maintenance, modification, and documentation. The Senior Software Engineer uses structured analysis and design methodologies to perform full life cycle development for USP applications ranging in complexity.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Performs design, development, testing, code review and post-production support for applications based upon the specific needs of USP.
• Adheres to sound standards and best practices during all phases of software development life cycle.
• Collaborates with team to provide technical solutions to support long-term technology strategy.
• Stays current on technology trends and identify ways to innovate USP’s software applications’ social and mobile capabilities.
• Creates prototypes, refines solutions, and establishes proof of concept.
• Diagnoses/repairs development and production issues in a timely manner.
• Closely follows version control, documentation, and code promotion procedures.
• Skilled problem-solver, able to prioritize and is detail oriented.
• Provides production support, enhancements and ongoing maintenance for custom programs that interface with third party vendors and other internal system
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant field with minimum 8 years of professional experience in full software development life cycle; or 6 years of professional experience with a related master’s degree.
• Full stack developer with hands-on experience with backend, frontend, and database technologies.
• Experience with J2EE using Spring framework, design patterns and open-source software.
• Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Restful/SOAP.
• Experience with stored procedures, triggers, functions, DDL, DML, writing complex SQL queries on Oracle/MySQL relational databases.
• Experience with UI frameworks such as AngularJS, ReactJS, etc.
• Experience with various client and server testing frameworks like Junit, SonarQube, JaCoCo, JMock, Mockito, TestNG, Jasmine, Selenium, etc.
• Experience with build tools like GIT, Ant, Maven, Grunt, GulpJS.
• Experience with configuring Web and application servers.
• Experience with Atlassian tool suite Confluence, JIRA, and Crucible.
• Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
• Experience with Linux/Unix or Mac OSX.
• Experience with working across multiple projects and consistently produce defined results.
• Excellent communication & interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with all levels of staff to determine system requirements, processes and data flows.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Experience with Amazon Web Services/Heroku a plus.
• Experience with application containerization technologies like Docker.
• Expert knowledge of systems, software, programming languages, development methodology and web frameworks.
• Strong grasp of common web technologies and recent developments in social, mobile and cloud applications.
• Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes in building high profile web applications.
• Must also be able to facilitate occasional projects not possible during normal business hours due to vendor necessity or customer impact (e.g., ability to be on call for any critical system issues).
As a condition of employment with United States Pharmacopeial Convention’s (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP will sponsor a H1B Visa to fill this position, if necessary. USP is exempt from H1B Visa Cap. Candidates who will need H1B sponsorship are encouraged to apply.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Information Technology
Job Type Full-Time