The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Strategic Communications Manager in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Strategic Communications Manager will serve as the communications partner for internal partners to advance enterprise mission priority communications. This position will help translate complex scientific and health care issues into campaigns and messages that resonate with target audiences. The position requires a strategic and creative thinker who is an excellent writer, editor, project manager, researcher, and digital-savvy to move campaigns forward within a fast-paced communications environment. This role will work in a collaborative environment within the Global External Affairs team to position USP as a thought leader and foster greater understanding of the importance of quality medicines and the role standards play in improving health outcomes for people around the world.
This role will lead development and implementation of communications strategies, conduct research, and analyze trends to develop actionable insights, mine stories to attract media attention, and create compelling and results-focused multi-media content that brings to life USP’s work. The candidate is highly motivated and organized and will interface with senior leadership and knowledge experts in across USP Divisions & Regions. The Strategic Communications Manager will manage multichannel communications campaigns with internal staff and external support, from strategy development to vendor and agency management to compelling content creation, reviews, approvals, and distribution. The candidate is knowledgeable about health policy and public health issues and can balance multiple assignments while maintaining attention to detail with a focus on delivery of high-quality content within the required schedule.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Lead a portfolio of strategic communications programs, managing and developing enterprise-level and market-segmented content that supports USP’s strategy across all external channels.
• Develop and execute communications plans, strategies, and tactics to include branding, public relations, communications collateral, digital and print advertisements, email, e-newsletters, web content, blogs, infographics, videos, webinars, mobile and social media around USP’s enterprise mission priority work.
• Identify news stories and earned media content ideas to showcase USP’s enterprise mission priority work and further thought leadership.
• Collaborate with external agencies and provide communications counsel to colleagues within assigned USP program and enterprise areas.
• Build relationships with trade media, manage media lists, and identify proactive opportunities for engagement.
• Work collaboratively with the external and marketing communications, web, digital and creative teams to develop content for media outreach, promotional campaigns and materials to ensure the best deployment for content across multiple channels.
• Collaborate closely with Global Communications teammates and internal subject matter experts to conceptualize, develop, seek appropriate approvals and proofread content that inspires, educates and informs external audiences and stakeholders in support of USP’s mission.
• Develop web and SEM content within advocacy campaigns and contribute to SEO/SEM strategies and execution.
• Leverage research, data, social analytics and multiple inputs of feedback and information to inform a cohesive content platform.
• Obtain approval of content as defined in the communications brief before providing to the design team.
• Manage updates to existing collateral and web pages throughout the year.
• Build positive relationships that foster USP core values and display competencies to communicate with staff at all levels.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Science Communications, Public Health, or related field required.
• Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in strategic communications roles within public health, pharmaceutical/biotech, or related sectors.
• High comfort level with leading multimedia campaign, adapting technical content for target audiences and collaborating with wide range of internal and external partners.
• Strong analytical skills as well as excellent writing and verbal communications skills.
• Excellent organizational skill and comfort managing multiple projects under deadline pressure.
• Solid interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others as part of a communications team.
• Strong time management, project management skills (i.e., proactive approach, deadline management, follow-up mechanisms, overview instruments), organizational skills and attention to detail.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Knowledge of health and regulatory policies, global public health, pharmaceutical industry issues, healthcare and/or policy communications strongly preferred.
• Minimum of three (3) years of communications experience representing a non-profit or health policy organization.
• Highly curious, strategic, creative, and imaginative.
• Excellent ability to use content to translate complex health policy, regulatory, and pharmaceutical industry topics for better understanding among different types of audiences.
• Experience working effectively independently and in a collaborative environment with internal partners, external agencies, graphic designers, web and digital teams, and communications teams to move projects from concept to completion.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and communicate effectively when priorities shift.
• Keen eye and attention to detail, especially in copywriting, editing and proofreading for digital and print, including AP Style.
• Flexibility to shift writing style to target a variety of audiences.
• Driven to create new ways to reach, inform and captivate audiences.
• Ability to give and receive constructive feedback and recommendations for edits.
• Knowledge of Cision or other news engagement and monitoring tools.
• Knowledge of Hootsuite or other social media engagement and monitoring tools is a plus.
• Knowledge of Google Analytics, SEO best practices, CRM and content management systems is a plus.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Ext. Affairs, Regulatory, & Communications
Job Type Full-Time