The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Team Lead, Senior Scientist I/II in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
This is a key hands-on, leadership position in USP’s Dosage Form Performance Laboratory (DFPL). In this role, the Senior Scientist I/II Team Lead is responsible for a team of scientists conducting routine and non-routine analyses relevant to the development and support of reference materials used for the PVT of dissolution apparatuses. The Senior Scientist I/II Team Lead assigns tests to their team members, provides technical oversight, solves technical problems, reviews generated laboratory data, issues reports, and serves as a point of contact for questions and comments. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring full utilization of assigned staff members while working closely with their supervisor to manage workloads. The Senior Scientist I/II Team Lead provides input into the performance reviews of team members. When appropriate the incumbent works hands-on conducting testing, training and/or problem solving at the bench level (may execute up to 20% of work at the bench).
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Provides technical oversight to assigned team of scientists, including assignment of tests, providing technical support and/or training, review of data and generating and issuing reports.
• Provides strong supervisory support to the group and guides their professional and technical development.
• Provides administrative oversight by ensuring full utilization of assigned staff and through participation in performance reviews.
• Provides project and technical support within DFPL including managing project tasks via interacting with internal and external clients, other departments and USP customers to create an achievable work schedule.
• Participates in cross-functional teams involved in reference standards development, including test protocol generation and review.
• Serves as a mentor for scientists in the laboratory regarding technical knowledge, work ethic and attitude.
• Initiates and coordinates issue management when necessary, using MasterControl or equivalent issue management software.
• Represents DFPL in internal customer meetings to receive/deliver information, requests and requirements.
• Takes the lead in working with other departments within the organization to solve both technical and process-related issues.
• Prepares evaluation reports and presents data internally within USP and externally to customers and stakeholders.
• Serves as the technical lead for investigations, corrective action plans and implementation of corrective actions.
• Troubleshoots methods and instrumentation issues. This will involve data mining, trending, and analysis to identify problems or determine process controls necessary to mitigate risks to data quality.
• Conducts scientific seminars and presents scientific work.
• Reviews, interprets, and evaluates available scientific literature.
• Investigates, evaluates, and recommends the purchase of laboratory equipment.
• Provides and assists in technical and professional training of lab staff members.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Ph. D. in Pharmaceutical Science or related field with 8 years of relevant laboratory experience, or
• M.S. in Pharmaceutical Science or related field and 10 years of relevant laboratory experience, or
• B.A./B.S. in Pharmaceutical Science or related field and 15 years of relevant laboratory experience.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Must have the capability to plan and conduct research independently.
• Familiarity with the cGMP and/or ISO requirements for testing laboratories is required.
• Research experience in formulation development, characterization and in vitro testing is required.
• Ability to lead a team of scientists in bringing projects to completion with a high degree of scientific expertise.
• Previous management, supervisory and mentoring experience.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
• Proficient with testing involving compendial methods (USP, BP, EP, etc.).
• Takes personal responsibility to ensure work is delivered on time and is of the highest quality.
• Skilled in anticipating, troubleshooting, and solving technical problems.
• Ability to build technical expertise in others by serving as a role model and positive influence on the team.
• Possesses experience and a proven track record of introducing new or innovative technologies into the laboratory.
• Proven analytical and multi-tasking abilities.
Provide technical and administrative supervision of a team of 3 – 5 scientists.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Chemistry & Scientific Standards
Job Type Full-Time