The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Trade Compliance Specialist in Rockville, Maryland
Summary of the Position
This is a hands-on, non-supervisory position to support the daily operation and development of a global best practices import and export compliance program. This position will support USP’s global trade compliance programs, mitigating risk to the organization specific to import/ export related activities in a manner that fully complies with all governmental and organization policies.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Provides import/export compliance support and day to day guidance to USP internal stakeholders.
• Responsible for classification and jurisdiction determinations (Harmonized Tariff Schedules, Schedule B, Export Control Classification Number) and jurisdiction determinations (government agencies).
• Responsible to update and maintain USP’s classification database.
• Responsible to handle situations regarding imports and exports such as customs clearance, delivery, detentions, administrative hold ups, and other matters as they may arise at various points of entry or exit.
• Communicate with USP’s customs brokers and freight forwarders.
• Responsible to draft and submit import/export permits i.e., U.S. Department of Agriculture and Other Government Agencies permit applications.
• Assist with restricted party screening to review and resolve potential matches.
• Assist with training and other areas of the compliance program such as Free Trade Agreements, Certificates of Origin, and AES export filing processes.
• Monitor and manages trade compliance recordkeeping.
• Monitors changes to import/export regulations and recommends appropriate updates to management.
• Seek out opportunities and work with IT team developers to drive efficiencies within the department and across the company.
• Support Sr. Manager, Global Trade Compliance in administering and implementing USP’s Trade Compliance program.
• Other duties as assigned to support program activities and policy controls.
• Bachelor’s degree in a business, international, supply chain, or related field
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in import/export compliance. Experience in the pharmaceutical, chemical or biologics industry area a plus.
• License Customs Broker strongly preferred
• Trade related certifications a plus.
• Ability to classify Harmonized Tariff Schedules, Schedule B, and Export Control Classification Numbers.
• Knowledge of International Traffic in Arms Regulations, Export Administration Regulations, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Foreign Trade Regulations, and Office of Foreign Assets Control Regulations.
• Knowledge of U.S. sanction programs and restricted party screening.
• Knowledge of the Automated Export System.
• Ability to work within teams independently and with minimal supervision.
• Ability to manage multiple and complex assignments while paying attention to detail.
• Critical thinking and excellent problem-solving skills.
• Strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to build strong relationships with internal stakeholders and to manage change through influence.
• Oracle (ERP) experience preferred.
As a condition of employment with United States Pharmacopeial Convention’s (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing are protected.
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP brings together more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver its mission to strengthen the supply of safe quality medicines and supplements worldwide. USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Legal
Job Type Full-Time