The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Volunteer Engagement Associate in Rockville, Maryland
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Volunteer Engagement Associate is an implementing position, connecting with USP’s Expert Volunteers and supports USP’s activities, relationships, and communication with its volunteers. The successful candidate will support key volunteer engagement activities, interface with senior level representatives, collaborate with colleagues across USP helping to build a connected volunteer community through strategic approaches, meaningful content and well-executed tactics that grow engagement and help advise and strengthen USP’s public health mission.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
• Enhance the Volunteer Experience.
• Support engagement with Expert Volunteer, helping to build an engaged and connected global community within a hybrid working environment.
• Serve as the engagement lead for USP volunteer meeting planning processes, supporting critically important initiatives through strategic and effective engagement tactics with groups representing diverse scientific fields.
• Implement a plan that will build and sustain engagement with volunteers, that balances priorities, flexes to account for different objectives and engagement preferences, and evolves to meet shifting objectives, under the direction of the Volunteer Engagement lead.
• Work together with colleagues and collaborators to incorporate the perspectives, knowledge and expertise into planning and implementation of engagement activities.
• Conceptualize and implement engagement activities that include but are not limited to curating content, facilitating multi-stakeholder dialog, and planning events.
• Gather insights on volunteer membership and apply lessons learned to engagement approach and strategy.
• Measure success of volunteer member engagement by setting objectives, identifying critical metrics, tracking progress, and adjusting appropriately.
• Ensure that USP meetings and events are organized and implemented to meet stated goals and objectives and in line with USP Core Values.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience working with diverse volunteers, experts, or in the science global environment.
• Experience developing and implementing strategies to enhance global volunteer experience, developing the next generation of volunteers committed to DEIB initiatives.
• Experience developing and implementing strategies to enhance global volunteer experience, developing the next generation of volunteers.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Experience developing and implementing strategies to enhance the global volunteer experience.
• Demonstrated experience managing or coordinating groups of volunteers or experts preferred.
• Ability to facilitate group interactions through interpersonal and tool-based skills to achieve project goals.
• Excellent facilitation, conflict resolution, and team-building skills in the management of cross-functional teams.
• Knowledge of global pharmaceutical and healthcare industries and related trade associations.
• Knowledge of project planning and project management, with demonstrated initiative and successful management of multiple projects focused on outcomes.
• Superior interpersonal skills: professionalism, accountability, helpfulness, delegation, and customer service.
• Agility – comfortable with change, adapting to new processes, objectives, or tactics.
• Curiosity – desire to grow understanding of issues, of volunteer membership, of functions within USP.
• Well-honed organizational, interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and listening skills.
• Strength in collaboration and ability to influence and inspire in a matrixed organization.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Strong time management skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent presentation and reporting skills.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (will apply to the selected candidate(s) hired):
As a condition of employment with the United States Pharmacopeial Convention's (USP) duty to provide and maintain a workplace free of known hazards, all employees and contingent staff hired after July 1st, 2021, must be fully vaccinated unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job Category Professional Programs
Job Type Full-Time