The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) Chief of Party PQMPlus in Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Who is USP?
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) USP is an independent scientific organization that collaborates with the world's top experts in health and science to develop quality standards for medicines, dietary supplements, and food ingredients. USP's fundamental belief that Equity = Excellence manifests in our core value of Passion for Quality through our more than 1,100 talented professionals across five global locations to deliver the mission to strengthen the supply of safe, quality medicines and supplements worldwide.
Brief Job Overview
The Chief of Party (CoP) is the Country lead management position for the Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) Program, a Cooperative Agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). PQM+ is seeking a CoP for Uzbekistan. The CoP provides overall in-country leadership for strategy, management, and program implementation to achieve the PQM+ goal towards sustainably strengthening medical product quality assurance systems. The successful candidate ensures consistent, effective, and compliant country program operations and the timely delivery of products that meet work plan objectives that are aligned with the priority needs of the country quality assurance systems and stakeholders’ expectations. The CoP serves as the primary liaison with USAID, relevant government agencies, and key stakeholders to ensure achievement of program deliverables, and to ensure that PQM+ activities complement on-going initiatives. The CoP will manage a team of staff in achieving program results while maintaining operational excellence.
How will YOU create impact here at USP?
The position's purpose should provide a high-level overview of why the position exists and briefly identify the most critical priorities of the position. This is an opportunity to highlight any features or duties of the role related explicitly to the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging work of the Department.
Strategic Leadership (25%):
• Provides strategic leadership and oversight for overall management of the PQM+ country program. This includes but is not limited to leading program design and developing work plans, leading overall implementation of project activities, and setting performance targets to meet priority needs of the country quality assurance systems and stakeholders’ expectations.
Program Management (50%):
• Leads the implementation of program activities, monitor program progress, account for deliverables, monitor that the implementation of PQM+ activities are of high quality, and produce timely quarterly and annual progress reports
• Accountable for the overall program operations, financial and contractual management, and compliance with USAID regulations.
• Oversees the accuracy, clarity, and quality of progress reports and other project documentation necessary for USAID reporting, ensuring they are completed in accordance with USAID and USP policies and procedures and submitted promptly.
• Oversees all human resources and personnel management issues and tasks, including recruitment, onboarding of local staff and performance management to ensure compliance of established policies and procedures
Cross collaboration with stakeholders (25%):
• Represent the PQM+ Program and increase the program’s visibility among key stakeholders through networking and active participation at relevant meetings and forums; engage with other Implementing Partners to take advantage of opportunities for leveraging existing initiatives and sharing of best practices.
• Develops and maintains strong working relationships with senior government officials, head of Agencies, leaders of pharmaceutical associations, donors, and other in-country stakeholders.
Who USP is Looking For?
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of our mission, commitment to excellence through inclusive and equitable behaviors and practices, ability to quickly build credibility with stakeholders, local to Uzbekistan, able to work without sponsorship, along with the following competencies and experience:
• Master's degree in a health-related field required
• Minimum of 10+ years of professional experience in the successful implementation of donor-funded programs with a minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience leading and managing diverse teams on donor- funded global health program implementation and project management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of USAID rules, regulations, and reporting requirements
• Deep understanding of pharmaceutical management issues in public health programs and challenges for meeting global health objectives.
Additional Desired Preferences
• Pharmacist, medical doctor, or other health profession qualification highly desirable
• Expertise in health systems strengthening preferred.
• Considerable experience working with high level officials in USAID and country governments; existing relationships with key donors and implementing partners working on health and pharmaceutical systems strengthening preferred
• Strong people management skills, including of virtual, matrixed teams
• Excellent client relationship management skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work in cross-cultural settings.
• Ability to demonstrate the highest degree of ethics and integrity.
• Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
Yes, four direct hires will be reporting into this position:
Senior Technical Advisor
Operations and finance manager, and several consultants.
USP provides you with the benefits you need to protect yourself and your family today and tomorrow. From company-paid time off, comprehensive healthcare options to retirement savings, you can have peace of mind that your personal and financial wellbeing is protected.
USP is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer (EEOE) and affirmative action employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of our work—from the standards we make to the partnerships and conversations we cultivate. An environment where every employee feels fully empowered and valued irrespective of, but not limited to, personality, race, ethnicity, physical and mental abilities, education, religion, gender identity and expression, life experience, sexual orientation, country of origin, regional differences, work experience, and family status. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities.
Note: USP does not accept unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies and is not responsible for fees from recruiters or other agencies except under specific written agreement with USP.
Job Category Technical Programs
Job Type Full-Time